Organic Foods and Weight Loss

Reasons To Support Organic In The 21st Century.

Reduce The Toxic Load:  Keep Chemicals Out of the Air, Water, Soil and our Bodies.
Buying organic food promotes a less toxic environment for all living things. With only 0.5 percent of crop and pasture land in organic that leaves 99.5 percent of farm acres in the U.S. at risk of exposure to noxious agricultural chemicals.

Our bodies are the environment, so supporting organic agriculture doesn’t just benefit your family, it helps all families live less toxically.

The Organic Debate:  Healthy vs. Weight Loss

More research on organic foods needs to be conducted.  Organic foods have fewer pesticides and toxins, but the real question is if the sometimes-small difference in toxins makes any scientifically significant difference on weight loss.   And yes, weight loss and health are two separate discussions.

Most important to you, labeling a food as organic is not an indication that it is weight-loss friendly.  In fact, there’s very little evidence that organic foods promote the scale dropping.  It could be the opposite because people who buy organic are under the impression that the foods contain fewer calories and oftentimes end up overeating.

That’s not to say organic foods are bad, they are a great source of nutrition and tend to be farmed in a more responsible manner.  The question here is about pure fat loss.  Organic sources of sugar are still sugar, and organic products loaded with 1,000 calories are still 1,000 calories.  If you want to reduce the potential of anything bad entering your body, feel free to purchase organic products, but still keep an eye on the label if your primary goal is fat loss.

Do Organic Foods Help Fight Weight Loss?

I love Whole Foods, my local farmer’s market, and do my best to purchase products from the best sources, including organic foods.  That said, slapping organic on a label does not mean it will help you lose weight or slash fat, and in some instances it won’t even guarantee that a food is “healthy.”  After all, an organic donut is still a donut.

There are no clearly distinguishable benefits of eating organic foods, whether measured by preventing disease or an assessment of overall health.  More  specific to weight loss, a random comparison of organic to non-organic foods found no significant difference in nutritional information, including calories.

What You Eat Is As Important As How Much You Eat!

We have been trained to think only of calories!  That leaves a lot of leeway for companies that prey on our desire to eat fewer calories but still feed that craving the foods are creating.

There are many reasons organic foods are better for you, and help promote healthy weight loss that will stay off.  Natural, organic foods are higher in fiber that helps you feel full, and is easy for your body to process.  Non-organic foods are typically very low in fiber, that leads to constipation and more cravings. Organic foods also produce secondary metabolites that increase your body’s fuel burning capacity.  Those metabolites include flavanones, tannins, phenolics, and resveratrol.  There’s no need to take expensive drugs that are not only costly, but a potential health risk to create those physical responses.  Simply eating right will do it.  Along with getting all of the benefits of high-powered weight loss drugs by eating organically, you’ll be able to keep the weight off easier because you have begun to eat properly to naturally produce that response.  When you take over-the-counter or prescription drugs to lose weight, the minute you stop it comes right back on. That’s because you haven’t changed the eating habits that caused the weight gain in the first place.